Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tacos with Refried Beans and Salsa Rice

Sooo, I kinda really love tacos! Growing up in Texas, I crave Mexican food a lot. Most of my favorites are not the most healthy, so when I'm craving the flavors, I go for tacos! This is another great way to sneak in veggies, you can chop up and saute whatever you like, I like to add mushrooms and zucchini, because they kind of have a similar texture to the beef. It stretches out the meat, too, so you can feed more people on less meat, which we all know is the most expensive thing in the grocery cart! I didn't do that this time, because this was last minute and I didn't have them on hand, but it's really so good!


 For the tacos:
1 Box of taco shells (I don't normally buy packaged stuff, but this I do. Frying my own tortilla shells (Which, honestly, I like more), results in a load more fat, so I buy the shells.
1/2 onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeno, minced (optional, I would add more, but my house mates don't like food as hot as I do)
1 pound 97% lean beef
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne (Look! You've made taco seasoning! Now stop buying the expensive salt loaded crap! lol!)
shredded lettuce (Please, don't use iceburg, it has no nutrition. Go with green leaf or romaine for some iron and vitamins.)
chopped tomato
diced onion

Warm shells in oven according to package directions.

In a large pan, saute onion, garlic, and jalapeno until softened, 3-5 minutes. Crumble in ground beef, season with the spices, and cook until brown, draining fat if necessary (The most effective way to do this, I've found, is to line a mesh seive with paper towels, pour the beef in, fold the paper towel over the top to blot, wipe the skillet with another paper towel, and add meat back in the pan to dry off the excess). You can sauce the meat one of two ways, you can make the sauce in the pan with the meat, like I do, or you can make it in a seperate pot to drizzle over your tacos. It's up to you! Top with lettuce, tomato, and onion. If you want, top with a half tablespoon of crated cheese per taco (I add mine on top of the meat so it melts). If you're like me, top with hot sauce! :)

Taco sauce:
1 8oz jar tomato sauce
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne (optional, if you like it with a little heat)
1 1/2 tsp oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp worcestershire

Combine all ingredients into a small saucepan, or in the pan with your cooked meat, and simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.

Refried beans:
3/4 cup dry pinto beans (Or you can use a can of beans. However, it's cheaper and you save sodium cooking dried beans)
1 onion, one half whole, the other chopped
2 cloves garlic, one smashed, the other minced
1/2 jalapeno, minced (Seeds out if you want it milder, leave them if you want it spicy)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
salt
pepper
chicken stock, at least 1/2 cup

Soak beans in enough water to cover overnight. Drain, rinse (Rinse them well, it cuts the gassiness of the beans), and add to a pot with enough water to cover by an inch, along with the whole onion half and smashed garlic clove. Boil beans, reduce heat to simmer, cover with a tilted lid, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until tender. Drain and rinse again.

Saute chopped onion, garlic, and jalapeno until tender, add beans, seasonings, and stock. You can either mash the beans with a potato masher for courser beans, or puree in the food processor (That's what I do, I like them smooth), adding as much stock as necessary to reach desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired. I like to top mine with cotija cheese, which is not always available, so, instead, I'll use fat free feta (This is one of few fat free dairy products I'll use, as they don't add chemicals to compensate, and you can't taste the difference), which is very similar.

Salsa rice:
I don't have a recipe for this, lol! I had about a cup of leftover rice from a stir fry my husband made the night before, so I nuked it in the microwave with a few tablespoons of salsa. Easy, yummy, score!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!