Monday, January 7, 2013

Chicken with Chive Sauce and Broccoli Mashed Potatoes

*For some reason, I'm unable to upload pictures from my computer, the browse box isn't coming up. I will add the images when I can figure out what's wrong. In the meantime, all of these recipes, along with the corresponding photo, are being posted to my Beachbody coach "like" page: www.facebook.com/bondgrlfit. I apologize for any inconvenience.*

I had a lot of chives and mushrooms leftover from Christmas (I still need to post those meals!) that needed to be used up, so I decided to use them up with this recipe! I love mushrooms, so I tend to purposely buy too much so I have an excuse to throw them in to other recipes! Another thing I really love is broccoli cheddar soup, and I wanted to get my son to actually eat his mashed potatoes this time, so I knew adding broccoli and cheddar in to them would get the job done!

Here's what's up!
2 chicken legs
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp minced chives
1 T whole wheat flour
2 T chicken broth
1 cup evaporated skim milk
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

In a large skillet, brown legs over medium-high heat for 3 minutes on each side, shove gently into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and juices run clear when pierced with a knife. Remove from pan and let rest while you make the sauce.

In the same skillet, sprayed with cooking spray, cook mushrooms and chives for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for a minute or two to cook out the floury flavor, and gradually wisk in the broth until blended. Whisk in the milk and nutmeg, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook and stir for 3-5 minutes until thickened. If it doesn't thicken as much as you like, make a slurry with a tablespoon of water and cornstarch, temper it with a little of the sauce, and gradually drizzle in to the remaining sauce while constantly whisking so it doesn't clump. Taste for seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.

For the broccoli mashed potatoes:

2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 pound broccoli, chopped (4 cups)
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
salt and pepper to taste

Cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add broccoli to a steamer basket and set above the potatoes and water, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Check broccoli with a fork to make sure they are fork tender, and remove to a food processor. Drain potatoes and add back to the hot pot, burner turned off. Pulse the broccoli with a little milk until finely chopped. Add to the potatoes and mash with a potato masher, adding milk as needed. When completely mashed, stir in cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

This recipe serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!