Monday, January 7, 2013

Vegetable and Tofu Pad Thai

*For some reason, I'm unable to upload pictures from my computer, the browse box isn't coming up. I will add the images when I can figure out what's wrong. In the meantime, all of these recipes, along with the corresponding photo, are being posted to my Beachbody coach "like" page: www.facebook.com/bondgrlfit.  I apologize for any inconvenience.*

I love Asian food, particularly Thai and Vietnamese, because their dishes tend to use my favorite ingredients, cilantro, lime, fish sauce, and Siracha! If you're vegan, you can substitute soy sauce for the fish sauce. My husband has never liked me cooking with tofu, and he really liked this! Even my son grabbed some of the seared tofu off my cutting board and ran off with it, singing it's praises! I did change up this recipe just a little bit to lower the fat and boost the protein by using less oil to cook the eggs, veggies, and tofu in, and by using four egg whites instead of two whole eggs. I meant to use wide rice noodles, but forgot to buy them, so I used whole wheat spaghetti, instead. I would have used fetucchini if I'd had it on hand, however.

Here's what I did!
14 oz firm tofu, drained and blotted dry
8oz dried wide, flat rice noodles (Or whole wheat fetucchini or spaghetti)
1/4 cup lime juice (3 normal limes or 1 1/2 of the monster limes I got last week!), plus wedges for serving
3 Tbsp fish sauce (or soy sauce)
1 Tbsp Siracha chili sauce
1 Tbsp packed dark brown sugar
vegetable oil cooking spray
4 egg whites lightly beaten
2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 green onions, white and green parts seperated and thinly sliced
2 Tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Wrap tofu in a double layer of paper towels and set in a bowl. Top with another bowl and a heavy can or two to press out liquid. Let sit 30 minutes, blot again, cut in half widthwise, then slice thinly along the short side, blot again.

If using rice noodles, soak according to package directions, or cook whole wheat pasta according to package directions.

In a small bowl, combine lime juice, fish or soy sauce, Siracha, and brown sugar. Set aside to let the flavors marry.

In a large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, cook eggs, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan and cook until set, 1 minute, transfer to a cutting board, lightly roll up, and slice into thin strips (Or, if you fail at this like I did, just scramble the eggs!). Clean out the pan if any egg stuck, re-spray with oil, and cook tofu until golden brown on both sides and crisp, about 7 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer to cutting board. I sliced each piece in half, as well, just to make it more fork friendly.

Add carrots, garlic, and scallion whites to skillet and cook until softenend, about 3-5 minutes. Add sauce and bring to a simmer. Add noodles and cook, tossing frequently for about a minute, then toss in eggs and tofu to combine.

Serve topped with scallion greens, cilantro, and chopped peanuts, with lime wedges on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!