Monday, December 31, 2012

Steak and Eggs with Creamed Spinach in Tomato Cups (Bonus! Leftover Idea!)

My husband made a stir-fry a few days ago and used all but three of these little steaks, and I needed to use them up. I needed a recipe that included more protein, since these steaks are small, I also love breakfast, it's my favorite meal of the day, so I like to make breakfast for dinner from time to time! I was thinking of maybe doing a hash or... a breakfast casserole, but with steaks, I like them to be front and center, not hidden. I would ordinarily have used sunny side up eggs, but I wanted to squeeze in some more vegetation, so I went with scrambled, since I could incorporate them right into the egg. When thinking of an accompanying veggie side, I thought of how my favorite steakhouse side is creamed spincach, but how it has too much liquid for a plate, and how yummy spinach is with tomatoes! Voila, dinner was now a concrete idea, just to get it cooked (I only made this for three, but I'll post the amounts for four):


For the steak and eggs:
4 small, lean steaks, extra external fat trimmed (I can't remember what cut we used, I think it was eye of round)
grill seasoning
worchestershire sauce
1/4 to 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (Depending on how many eggs you use)
1/4 onion, chopped
1/4 jalapeno, minced (optional)
4-6 eggs (However many you want. I made one egg for me, one for my son, and two for my husband)
1 tablespoon evaporated skim milk

Preheat a large skillet (Or a grill, if it's not freezing death cold where you live!) to medium-high heat. Season one side of the steak with grill seasoning and add, seasoned side down, to the heat, then season the other side. Cook for 2-4 minutes (Depending on how you like it, I like mine mooable, so I went with 2, my husband likes his medium, so his was on for three), flip, sprinkle with worchestershire, and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno until just slightly tender but still crisp. Beat eggs with milk and a little salt and pepper, then add to pan. Reduce heat to medium low, and let cook slowly, gently folding eggs occasionally (This will result in moist, fluffy eggs. If you cook them too quickly, they'll be dry). When cooked to your preferred level of doneness, remove onto plates (If you're like me, here is where you would generously give the gift of hot sauce!), and top with a steak. Enjoy!

For the creamed spinach:
1, 16 oz bag frozen chopped spinach
1/4 cup onion, chopped (Half of a medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (I gave about 10 grates)
4 roma tomatoes, halved and scooped out (I saved the insides to chop up and add to my frittata in the morning)
freshly grated parmesan cheese

In a microwave safe bowl, thaw spinach in the microwave on high for about three minutes, scoop into a clean dish towel, and squeeze all of the water out until no more comes out.

Meanwhile, cook the onion and garlic in a small pot sprayed lightly with cooking spray until tender, stir in milk and seasonings, bring to a boil, then simmer until thickened. Add spinach and simmer, uncovered, until milk has reduced to desired consistancy, stirring occasionally.

Spoon into tomato cups and sprinkle with parmesan cheese! I've made this before with blue cheese, and broiled the stuffed tomatoes for a couple of minutes, which is excellent, as well!

 
Leftovers??
If you happen to have extra creamed spinach and tomatoes, what do you do with them? For me, the answer to any leftover veggie dilemma is a breakfast frittata! My breakfasts are always a cup of veggies with an egg, in various forms, but frittata is my favorite!

I had two stuffed tomatoes leftover from when I made the steak and eggs. I first sauteed about a tablespoon or two or diced red onion, then added the tomatoes, diced up, and sprinkled the spinach filling over the top (I also topped the spinach with a quarter of a jalapeno, chopped, because I need my food to be spicy!). I then poured a beaten egg over the top, covered, and let it cook over medium-low heat until it was cooked through, about 5 minutes, and sprinkled parmesan cheese over the top!! Yummmmmm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!