Monday, December 31, 2012

Meatloaf Muffins with Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes

This was a total last minute meal! I was originally going to make tacos, but had waited too long to remember to cook the beans to refry, and dinner would have been an hour late, so I spent forever trying to decide what to make, then decided on meatloaf. There wasn't enough time to make a whole loaf, so I stuffed the mix in muffin tins to speed the cooking time along! This was a...lso perfect, because the end pieces are my favorite, and these were crisp all around! This is a great meal to hide veggies from your kids, spouse, or even yourself! If someone is REALLY picky, you can even puree the veggies, no one will ever see or taste them!Meatloaf is always an awesome throw together meal, because you can toss in whatever it is you have and it will be amazing regardless of what's in it! Unless what's in it has turned... ;)


 


 For the meatloaf:
 2c assorted veggies, chopped (I used carrots, celery, red bell peppers and onion. I've done it before with leftover roasted red bell, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, and spinach before, soo good! This is an excellent use up for leftover cooked veggies, too!)
1 pound 93% lean ground beef (Or turkey breast)
1/2c whole wheat panko or breadcrumbs
1/4 cup evaporated skim milk (It has a thicker consistency, so I find it to be a better binder than regular milk)
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp barbecue sauce, plus more for topping (You could also use ketchup, spaghetti sauce, salsa, pesto, chimichurri, alfredo, etc)
2 Tbs chopped fresh herbs or 2 tsp dried (I used parsley and chives)
1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheese, if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

If not using leftover veggies, steam, roast, or saute them and add them to a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin with oil and fill with meat mixture. Top with 1/2 to a full tablespoon of the remaining sauce you mixed into the meat.

Bake the muffins for 15 minutes, top with cheese, and bake for another 5. If you're not topping with cheese, bake for 20 minutes and enjoy! When I make them with barbecue sauce, I also like to top mine and my son's with a little yellow mustard to brighten it up. Husband doesn't care for the mustard, however, so I leave his alone.


For the mashed potatoes:
This isn't completely potato, but ssshh, my husband doesn't know that!

1 medium to large Russet potato, cut into one inch pieces, skin on, that is where most of the nutrients are!
1/4 head cauliflower, cut into florets
chicken stock as needed
1 tsp butter (Yes, that is all. You don't need a lot of butter for buttery flavor, no margerine, it is one molecule from being both plastic and paint, don't eat that.)
evaporated skim milk as needed
salt
pepper

Fill a pot with water and salt it, add potatoes, top with a steamer basket and fill with cauliflower, cover, and bring water to a boil. Boil/steam about 5 to 10 minutes until veggies are soft (If you don't have a steamer basket that fits over the pot, either use two different pans or steam the cauliflower in the microwave with a little water in a microwave safe dish or container until soft. I wouldn't boil them). Once tender, drain potatoes and add back to the hot pot (Burner off, however) to let dry some while you transfer the cauliflower too a food processor and puree until smooth, adding chicken stock as needed. Add the cauliflower and butter to the potatoes and mash with a potato masher (I like my potatoes a bit chunky, if you prefer whipped potatoes, then transfer back to the food processor), adding milk as needed. When it's the consistency you want, season with S&P to taste. I topped mine with a few crumbles of blue cheese, that's just how I roll! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!