Thursday, August 12, 2010

Turkey Chili and Buttermilk Cornbread

So, okay, I have to admit, I am TOTALLY one of those Texans who does not believe beans belong in chili. Texas chili came from a Mexican chili made of simmered peppers. Being Texans, they had to add meat! I did put beans in this recipe because it helps stretch the meat, and when you're trying to save money, you want to stretch out your protein as far as you can. It was really good, I must admit! I still prefer beanless chili, but this really was a great dish! The day I made it, I had a leftover roll from the BBLT's I made(http://http//awesomenoshin.blogspot.com/2010/08/broccoli-and-cheddar-soup-with-bblt.html), so I hollowed it out and made a bread bowl. I took the bread I scooped out and seasoned it, then baked it off to make rough croutons. I also made more cornbread using the same basic recipe I did when I made it with the Roasted Corn and Crab Chowder, but I changed it up some!










This is really good, both in a bread bowl and in a soup bowl with cornbread!!

If this is causing you to salivate, here is how to alleviate that problem;
This recipe takes about 30 minutes to prep and cook.

olive oil cooking spray
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground 93/7 turkey breast
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 can red kidney beans, rinced and drained, or 1 frozen package, thawed, keeping liquid
1 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices.
1 1/2 teaspoons siracha sauce
2 teaspoons Tobasco sauce
1 tomato, diced
1 avocado, diced
1/2 red onion, minced
3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

In a dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook onion and garlic over medium heat until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the turkey, bell peppers and jalapeno and cook until peppers start to soften, about 3 minutes. Drain off any fat. Stir in chili powder and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Add the beans and tomatoes and let come to a simmer. If you used canned beans, add 1 1/2 cups fat free, low sodium chicken stock. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Stir in siracha and Tobasco.

Ladel chili into bowls and top with tomato, avocado, red onion, cheeses, and cilantro. Serve with cornbread and go to town!

This recipe serves 6.

For the cornbread, follow the recipe here;
http://awesomenoshin.blogspot.com/2010/07/roasted-corn-and-crab-chowder-and.html

But make these changes;
Add 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to the dry ingredients, omit jalapeno and chipotle pepper. Substitute the cheddar cheese with Pepper Jack and bake. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or parsley and serve alongside the chili!

I hope you like it as much as my son and I did! He annhialated his bowl!!

1 comment:

  1. Come cook for me! YUM! I too prefer a beanless chili but I have to say, Misty gave me a recipe for a Weight Watchers chili with black beans and corn and it is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!