Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Broccoli and Cheddar Soup with a BBLT (Better BLT!)

Hi, all! I'm sorry I have been bad about updating my blog much! I've had a lot to do around the house with Hubby being gone. I'll try better, I promise!!

So I made a really yummy Broccoli Cheddar Soup! It's not like most, where the soup is really just liquid cheese with a skant amount of broccoli floretts tossed in. This is mostly veg with some cheese stirred in at the end of cooking. So it isn't the vibrant yellow you usually see, but it is super yummy! I actually think it's better, because you can taste both the broccoli and the cheese, instead of it all being the cheese. I call the BLT a Better BLT because I use a white bean dip instead of mayo, and instead of loading up with a quarter pound of bacon per sandwich, I just use two slices. Don't worry, you can still taste the bacon and pick up that nice crunch! If you want to make it even healthier, use turkey bacon or veggie bacon. I prefer pork, and pork bacon saves me money! I'm not the biggest fan of veggie meat, I don't find it very good, but if you do, then go for it, your arteries will thank you! Of course, I use whole wheat rolls inestead of white. It's not only a Better BLT because it's healthier, but it's also tastier than one loaded with mayo on tasteless white bread!

When I make recipes calling for canned beans, I make my own. For the cost of a can, I can buy a pound of beans (Actually, dry beans are cheaper.), and make enough beans for 4 cans! What I do is soak them over night when I bring them home and cook them the next morning while I make breakfast. I let them cool slightly and put the beans and liquid into 4 quart sized zip top bags. I measured it up, by putting beans and liquid into a can and seeing how much of each fits. A 15 oz can of beans equals 1 1/2 cups of beans, and 1/2 cup liquid. Then I write on the bag the type of bean, since color isn't always the best clue, and refrigerate all day. Before I go to bed, I flatten out the bags, and pop them in a single layer in my freezer, and stack them up the next morning once they're frozen hard. When I need to use them, I just pull them out of the freezer into the fridge the night before when I'm moving my meat. Not only does this save money, but it helps you control the sodium level of your beans. I don't salt them when I cook them, so that when I cook with the beans, I can better control the overall saltiness of my dish. It's not inconvenient, so why not save a little money and a lot of salt?


Okay, the soup is not the prettiest thing ever, but it is awesome!!

So, if you want to make the soup, here is what you do;
This takes about 20 minutes to prep and make.

cooking spray
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 heads broccoli, florets cut into bite-sized pieces and stems chopped
1 medium Yukon Gold potato, diced
2 red potatoes, diced
3 cups low fat, low sodium chicken stock
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup buttermilk
salt
pepper

In a saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion and garlic over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes

Add broccoli, potatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer, covered, until the broccoli and potato are softened, about 7 minutes.

Transfer 1/2 to 3/4 of the soup into a blender. Cover with a dish towel and puree until smooth. Return to the saucepan. Add the cheese, reserving just enough to garnish, and the buttermilk, and cook over low until the cheese melts, but do not allow to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladel into bowls and top with the reserved cheese.

This recipe serves 6.

That BBLT is fantastic and you need it in your belly, so here is how you do it!
This recipe takes 10 minutes to prep and cook.

4 whole wheat rolls
1/4 cup white bean dip (recipe follows)
8 leaves red leaf lettuce (Or you can use watercress or arugula!)
2 carrots, grated
8 slices bacon
1 avocado, sliced
8 thick slices tomato (1 or 2 tomatoes, depending on size.)

Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until crispy. Transfer to paper towels and blot off excess grease.

Halve the rolls. In a dry pan, toast, cut side down, over medium heat until crispy and slightly browned. Spread with the white bean spread, then top each bottom with 2 leaves lettuce, 1/4 of the carrots, 2 clices of tomato, 1/4 of the avocado, and 2 slices of bacon. Top with the other half of the bread, and enjoy!

This recipe serves 4.

White Bean Dip
This takes 2 minutes prep and make.

1 large clove garlic, coarsley chopped
1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons coarsley chopped parsley
Juice of 1 large lemon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper

In a blender or food processor, add garlic, beans, parsley, and lemon juice, and pulse until pureed. With the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.

You can serve it warmed up, at room temperature, or chilled! This is also great with veggie dippers and pita bread!

This recipe makes about 1 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!