Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Huevos Rancheros

So, yesterday I had run out of soup for lunch, and I didn't want to make what I was making for dinner that night, so I searched my kitchen for what I had to figure out what to make for lunch, and ended up on Huevos Rancheros! Yummy! I love spicy fried eggs! I have eggs drenched in tobasco every morning, usually in the form of an omelette or scrambeled for tacos or quesadillas. That's how I use up leftover veggie side dishes, or extra raw veggies I have. I always sautee them up and either fold them into an omelette or use them in a ta co or quesadilla. I'm not terribly creative in the morning. I used to make a lot of waffles, I just haven't in a while for whatever reason. Probably because a breakfast of egg, veggies, a bread and some milk is more balanced. When I have waffles, I only eat waffles, not fruit or protein, just 2 enormous waffles! If I make them with fruit in them or a fruit topping there's fruit in there!

Anyway, I digress. Here is my huevo lunch!!



Here's how to get this on your table:
This recipe takes 15 minutes to prep and cook.

cooking spray
5 corn tortillas
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped, plus extra for garnish
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
4 eggs
salt or cajun seasoning
pepper
1/2 cup pepper jack cheese

Thickly spray cooking spray into a small pan and heat over medium high heat. When hot enough to sizzle the tortillas, add them, one at a time. When the bottom has crisped, about two minutes, spray the top of the tortilla and flip. Cook until crisp and remove from skillet on to paper towels. Blot and keep 4 warm on a baking sheet in a 300 degree oven. Reserve the 5th tortilla.

For salsa, cook onion and garlic in a pan sprayed with cooking spray over medium-high heat until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Tear reserved tortilla into pieces and add to blender. Cover and process until it becomes a coarse puree.

Coat the skillet with additional cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Carefully break eggs into the pan, sprinkle with salt or cajun seasoning and pepper. Fry to desired doneness.

Place a tortilla on each of 4 plates, top with an egg and spoon some salsa over. Sprinke with cheese and reserved cilantro.

This recipe serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!