Thursday, August 12, 2010

Scallion and Mozzarella Biscuits

So, I was making more ranch dressing and noticed my buttermilk is nearing it's date. When I bought it, they didn't have any more of the smaller containers, just the half gallon, so I had only used half of it! Not wanting to waste my money on allowing it to spoil, I decided to bake! My first adventure was to make biscuits, which, I have to admit, I haven't made before. They were super good, though!!


If you want to stuff your face with these (I don't want to mention how many I ate! Behbeh ate a few, too, though! I'm not the only pig!!);
This recipe takes about 20 minutes to prep and bake!

1 2/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unalted margerine, diced and chilled
6 scallions very thinly sliced
3/4 cup buttermilk
cooking spray
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
freshly grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Sift flour, baking powder, soda, and salt into a large bowl. Add butter and use your fingers to work into flour until pieces no larger than peas remain. Stir in scallions and buttermilk until just combined.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, gather into a ball and knead a couple of times. Press down dough until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out biscuits with a 2 1/2 inch cutter, or a glass (I lucked out and have a glass that exact width at the top! Place onto an ungreased, foil lined baking sheet. Press scraps together, press down to 1/2 inch thickness, and cut. Continue until you no longer have enough dough to make a full biscuit (I rolled the remaining into a ball and made a donut hole looking biscuit! I don't want to waste!!). Spray the tops with butter flavored cooking spray and sprinkle with the mozzarella. Bake until biscuits have risen and are just golden on the bottom, about 12 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve warm!

This recipe made me 16 biscuits, but will differ based on how big you cut them.

These were super delicious!! What I did with the extra was seal them in a ziplock and refrigerate over night, then popped the bag in the freezer in the morning. This way, I won't get as many large ice crystals, and I can have biscuits ready to heat in the microwave whenever the mood hits!!

4 comments:

  1. I found your recipe on Google and had to try it out! I didn't have any scallions (darn) but even without them, this was very tasty. Will use this recipe again, and will check out the rest of your blog, too! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!