Sunday, January 16, 2011

Southwestern Shephard's Pie

I really love Shephard's Pie! I have always made it as a way to use up leftover meatloaf, since I have some strange aversion to leftover meatloaf, so most of the time it consists of crumbled meatloaf mixed with whatever vegetables I have on hand and topped with potatoes and cheese! When I was doing my meal plan, I was really craving a shephard's pie, but I didn't want meatloaf, so I thought I'd actually make one all the way through, and change it up a little, so this is what I chose to do!

In a perfect world, the potatoes would have been all sweet potato. But, I'm trying to get my husband out of his sweet potato issue from having way too many sweet potato dishes growing up, so I used part sweet and part Russet potato, but you can use whatever you like. I'm trying to slowly introduce him to savory sweet potatoes. That's why I picked cheddar for the cheese, so he wouldn't see orange, realize it was sweet potato, and decide he didn't like the potato portion of the meal before trying it (By the way, he loved it!! Hopefully I've broken the sweet potato problem...)! I don't blame him for his aversion, however, he's always had them in sweet dishes, and I'm not the biggest fan of that, either. Sweet potato waffles, on the other hand, are amazing!! I should make some again, soon!

To put this big cassarole of amazing on your table, this is what you do:
This recipe takes about 1 hour 20 minutes to prep and cook.

1 pound sweet potatoes, cubed small (Leave on that yummy, healthy skin!!)
1/2 pound Russet Potatoes, cubed small (Or whichever potato you like, use all sweet if you want, I was just trying to dilute the flavor a little for my weird husband! Haha!!)
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
salt
pepper
Cooking spray
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced (about a tablespoon)
1 medium jalapeno, minced (a tablespoon or so)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
salt
pepper
1 pound lean ground beef (I use 94/6 or 96/4)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/2 cup black beans (Rinse if you're using canned or if you salt your beans when you cook them.)
1/2 cup chredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add potatoes to a large pot, cover with cold water, add salt, and bring to a boil. Boil for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender, but not mushy. Drain, add butter, milk and spices and mash to desired consistency.

Meanwhile, heat a large pot coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno and spices, cook for two more minutes before raising the heat to medium high and adding beef. Cook and stir until brown, about 10 or 15 minutes.

Add tomato paste and cook 2 more minutes  and add tomatoes, lower heat and simmer until liquid reduces, 10 to 15 minutes. Add corn, beans, and cilantro.

Spray a baking dish with cooking spray, and spoon meat mixure in. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes. Top with cheese and broil for a minute or two until the cheese has melted and started to brown. Garnish with additional cilantro, and a wedge of lime, if desired. Stuff your face, but blow it, it's hot!

This recipe serves 6, or 8 if you serve it with other yummy stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!