Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken Ramen Noodle Soup

Yeah, yeah, yeah, not fancy, I know! This is the first thing I made after we got to California. I needed something fast and cheap to make for lunch, what could fit the bill better than this? I kept all of my spices and non perishables so I wouldn't have to buy more than absolutely necessary, so I only had to buy a couple of things, perfect!
In college, ramen was my perfect go to, so I played around
with it enough to enjoy doctoring it up!

Here is what I did;
This takes 30 minutes to prep and cook.

1 package Oriental flavored ramen noodles (Any flavor would work!)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, diced
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
pepper
1 large can Swanson chicken, drained
1 1/3 cup frozen peas
1 cilantro buillon cube (I had no cilantro, and Mom had sent me some a while ago, use 2T cilantro, if you want!)
juice of 1/2 a lime
Siracha
black sesame seeds
2 tablespoons salted peanuts, chopped

In a small pot, boil 4 cups of water and season with seasoning packet. Boil pasta 3 to 5 minutes, stirring to break up, until cooked. Drain pasta, reserving water.

Meanwhile, in a medium pot coated with cooking spray, saute onion, garlic, and carrot, seasoned with 5 spice and pepper, over medium heat until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add in pasta cooking water and simmer 10 minutes. Add chicken and peas and simmer another 10 minutes. Crumble in cilantro buillon (Or stir in fresh cilantro.) and stir in lime juice and siracha to taste. Ladel into bowls and garnish with sesame seeds and peanuts. Enjoy!!

If you're concerned about sodium, use only 1/2 of the seasoning packet and replace 2 cups, or all, of the water with chicken or vegetable broth, and increase 5 spice to taste.

This recipe serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!