Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chuck Steak Stir Fry

This recipe came from my trying to use up the meat we have in the house! We're moving soon, and I hate food waste, so I'm trying to use all I have around! I had two chuck steaks leftover in my freezer from something I made a while back, so I figured I'd stretch the protein with a veggie packed stir fry! This was awesome! The only downer is that now when my son sees corn he starts asking for baby corn! I guess I need to start keeping some on hand, he loves them!!


To put this hot bowl of awesome in your belly;
This recipe takes about 45 minutes to prepare.

1 cup brown rice
2 cups beef stock
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
6 scallions, sliced thinly on the bias
1/2 pound chuck steaks (2 steaks, roughly), cut into thin strips
2 teaspoons Chinese 5 spice
salt
3 tablespoons orange juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons beef stock
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon Splenda
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 carrot, diced
2 handfuls sugar snap peas
1 can baby corn, drained and rinsed
1 can water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
1 can bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed 

In a small pot, combine rice and beef stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes, until rice is tender. Toss with one teaspoon sesame oil and  2 green onions.

Meanwhile, season beef evenly with 5 spice and salt. In a large skillet or wok sprayed with cooking spray, cook over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until just seared outside and still pink in the middle. Drain on paper towels.

For the sauce, in a small bowl, combine orange juice, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons beef stock, hoisin, ginger, 2 teaspoons of the garlic, cornstarch, Splenda, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.

In the skillet or wok sprayed with cooking spray, lower heat to medium. Add 3 green onions and the remaining garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until beginning to soften, 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and carrot, season again, and saute until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add snap peas, baby corn, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots, and warm through. Add meat back to pan and stir in the sauce. Toss well and simmer until thickened.

Serve in bowls over rice. Drizzle the tops with the 1 remaining teaspoon sesame oil, and top with the remaining green onion. Enjoy!!

This recipe serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try any of these recipes, let me know how you liked it(Or didn't, for that matter!), and any changes you made or think might improve this meal! I always appreciate input!!